DMCA has pushed me to my limit.

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Jul 18 09:09:47 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:18:42AM -0700, Black Unicorn wrote:
> When a foreign national can be arrested for a bit of coding which was
> developed (I assume) outside the US and never, by his actions (I assume)
> hit US soil well it really is time for the DMCA to go.

Without quibbling with your sentiment, this isn't unique to the DMCA.

Holocaust revisionism is a crime in Germany, I understand. If I ran
my naziswereswell.com website from the U.S. as a U.S. citizen and made the
mistake of traveling to Germany, I could easily be arrested. Let's not
even talk about what would happen if Rushdie wanted to visit Iran.

Similarly, U.S. law prohibits money laundering. If a known Russian money
launderer visited the U.S., he'd likely be arrested. This is unremarkable.

That's not even talking about kidnappings by U.S. agents.

As for the DMCA, it says: "No person shall manufacture, import, offer
to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology,
product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that (does the
good stuff)." Nowhere does it limit its scope to Americans.

As I wrote in an article in April, all this means is that cutting-edge
security conferences will be held overseas, or maybe in Canada.