George W. Bush on biochemwomdterror

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Wed Jul 18 08:26:53 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:22:13AM -0700, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> >>7/17. President Bush also touched on cyberterrorism in his speech on world
> >>trade. He stated that "The United States and her allies will pursue a
> >>balance of world power that favors human freedom. This requires a new
> >>strategic framework that moves beyond Cold War doctrines and addresses the
> >>threats of a new century such as cyberterrorism, weapons of mass
> >>destruction, missiles in the hands of those for whom terror and blackmail
> >>are a very way of life."
>
> Hmmm. There's a missing conjunction in the list.  That's a signature
> usage that his father was famous for.  I haven't been paying much
> attention to him, but it might be worthwhile to do some text analysis
> and see how much of this crap is being written by his father.
>
> On the other hand, it may be a signature usage he learned *from*
> george senior when he was just a kid.

Lots of the White House support staff (speech writers, etc.)
are from his father's admistration and/or Reagan (or Nixon,
in a few cases).  I think this is a likelier explanation, but
who knows?

The idea that GWB senior taught GWB junior how to read, write
and speak makes some questionable assumptions (i.e., that
GWB junior *can* read, write and speak).
  -- Greg