Philip Morris, in the news

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Tue Jul 17 18:34:00 PDT 2001

Tim May wrote:
#
#    I've been telling people this at parties for many years: since most
#    smokers are productive up until the time they develop lung cancer
#    (maybe more so, due to the nicotine high), and because they typically
#    develop lung cancer after their most productive years but before
#    their declining years, smoking should be REQUIRED.
#
#    The fact that lung cancer typically is not expensive to treat is a plus.
#
#    Press reports of the above story are, as usual, missing the essential
#    truth of the point and are focusing on the "callousness" of the Giant
#    Corporations.

What struck me, and perhaps I should have said so explicitly,
was the contradiction between this advice to the Czech gov,
versus the sworn Congressional testimony by the heads of the
tobacco companies that they believed there was not enough
evidence to say smoking causes disease.