DMCA has pushed me to my limit.

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 19:07:48 PDT 2001

>Is there a legal fund developing for our wayward Russian or an anti-DMCA
>fund?  Am I giving EFF and CPSR a bad rap?  Should we be giving them money
>earmarked exclusively for anti-DMCA activities?  Where is the usually
>outspoken John Gilmore after his landmark essay on the topic?  (
>http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html )  Where can reverse engineering be
>conducted in the world anymore without felonies being leveled?  Does anyone
>care?

EFF is doing it's thing, which was semi-effective and is now not much effective
at all - I just don't see advances, just declines in freedoms.

On the other side, encryption and strong anonymity render DMCA ineffective, but
after 10 years of PGP and mixmasters only few thousand use any. So we want
thinking to be legal while visible.

What is left to do ? Maybe some clever propaganda along the lines

"End of the world: russian arrested in US of A for thought crime".

Or make it desirable to be prosecuted for thought crimes: send money directly
to the russian. Sort of inverse AP - whoever gets arrested for DMCA gets paid.

Buy some ad space in papers and get the message out. Running decent-size ads
will take many K$. Maybe if a number of contributors insist on this EFF would
coordinate it ? How does one round up contributors in cpunkish environment ?
The issue here is to not preach to the choir. Preaching to sheeple is
*expensive*, and the gain ("more freedom") is far away and very few will commit
actual cash to it.

Anyway, I may know some that would - how do we get EFF to do directed campaign
?