DMCA has pushed me to my limit.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 17 19:00:08 PDT 2001

At 12:55 AM +0300 7/18/01, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
>>When a foreign national can be arrested for a bit of coding which was
>>developed (I assume) outside the US and never, by his actions (I assume)
>>hit US soil well it really is time for the DMCA to go.
>
>On a more general level, is US law to be construed as granting personal
>jurisdiction over anyone on the US soil, regardless of where the actual
>crime was committed? I.e., if I do something wrong according to the Code,
>I'd better stay the hell out of US?

Yes, just as an American who commits some crime under German law,
while in the U.S., had better avoid travelling to Germany...or even
to Denmark.

(Case a few years ago of the American arrested in Copenhagen and
extradited to Germany because he had published in America material
deemed a thoughtcrime in Germany.)

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns