[alg] alg gpg/pgp keysigning party on Thur 07-26-01 (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Tue Jul 17 16:35:46 PDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:59:30 -0500
From: Paul Elliott <pelliott at io.com>
To: alg <alg at austinlug.org>
Subject: [alg] alg gpg/pgp keysigning party on Thur 07-26-01

The ALG key signing party will take place on Thursday July 26 2001.

In order to participate in the party, please take the following
steps:

(A) if you have not done so already, generate a GPG/PGP key for yourself.
    The precise command for this varies with your version of GPG/PGP.
    Consult the documentation for your version.

(B) email your public key to me by noon the day before the party July 25.
    Please indicate in your subject line the nature of the message.
    For example, Subject: KEY FOR KEY-SIGNING PARTY.
    If you use more that one key you can submit more than one, but
    be reasonable.

    I will use these keys to prepare a list of key IDs and
    fingerprints which will facilitate the party. I will Xerox
    this list.

(C) Bring 2 things to the party:

    (a) your GPG/PGP key fingerprint(s)

        This will be used to verify that people are being
        asked to sign the public key that you want them to sign.

    (b) Identification, preferably picture identification to
	prove that you are you.

        The party will be run according to the non-coercion
	principle. No one is required to bring any particular
	form of ID.

	However, the non-coercion principle works two ways.
	If that ID that you bring does not persuade other people
	that you are you, then they are not required to sign
	your KEY!

	My advice, try a drivers license if possible.

AFTER THE PARTY, everyone will have a list of public keys and key
finger prints that they have decided it is OK to sign.

I will have added all the public keys that were sent to me to the
public key servers. I will also email the public keys used in the party
to this list, in case anyone does not have access to the public key
servers.  You will be able to get the public keys that you wish to
sign from any public key server.

They should sign these public keys and make the signatures public.

Please email the signed public keys to me and I will compile the
signed public keys for the use of ALG. Please use the subject line:

Subject: SIGNED PUBLIC KEY FROM KEY SIGNING PARTY.

I will also add these now SIGNED keys to the GPG/PGP public
key servers.

If you wish, you can also send the signed public keys to
the public key servers your own self. -:)

For more information on key signing parties in general, see:

http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html
http://www.herrons.com/kb2nsx/keysign.html

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-9345 1(512)837-1096
pelliott at io.com                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com