DMCA has pushed me to my limit.

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Tue Jul 17 13:14:17 PDT 2001

The Big O wrote:

>     "Nuts!"

Black Unicorn with the opalesque spike wrote:
#
#    Ok.  That's pretty much my limit.
#
#    Where can reverse engineering be conducted in the
#    world anymore without felonies being leveled?
#
#    Does anyone care?

Cypherpunks do something?

Maybe start with the basics: a WWW site.
Doesn't Choate have a couple registered names for our use?

Describe how to use encryption on each platform.
The various options for sending/receiving encrypted email.

Set up (I volunteer to figure out the software scripting
if people are interested in using it) a clone of lne.

Boy, has lne eliminated 99% of the crap that the other nodes get.
Anyway, a clone that accepts only encrypted submissions, and
sends encrypted output.

Purely for slinging more encrypted traffic around, obviously.
Just on principle. The encrypted list software might be useful
to other people.

Okay, to get back to the subject: an explanation on how
to release these tools anonymously. Document why it is
necessary. It's not the reverse engineering that needs
to be moved to foreign outposts. Perhaps describe some
methodologies for selling it anonymously.

----

Blacky wrote:
#
#    I'd be interested in talking to cypherpunks who actually would
#    like to do something activist about eliminating this legislative
#    scourge and hopefully doing something a bit more substantial
#    than EFF or CPSR has been doing on the subject.

That takes voters, right? We don't lob money, right?

Maybe one of those "reach out to three others..." sequences,
with an URL to tie everyone together to alerts to write
letters. We'd provide a letter template for each alert that
they could edit on our site, create a PDF or WWW page output
for them to print and actually send in. Many places don't
seem to react to email.

----

What was that Kurt Vonnegut book/movie (Jerry Lewis): Slapstick.

Maybe we should start a movement of people
who all change/set legally their middle
name to 'Privacy'.

Damn straight.