Philip Morris, in the news

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 17 13:55:19 PDT 2001

At 2:15 PM -0400 7/17/01, George at Orwellian.Org wrote:
><SNERK>
>
>MSNBC reports Philip Morris has advised the Czech government,
>in writing, that they would save millions in retirement
>benefits if they promoted more smoking.
>
>Philip Morris responded to a request for comment
>by saying, "It was just an economic study."
>
>U.S. companies are just trying to be helpful. ;-)

And truthful.

I've been telling people this at parties for many years: since most
smokers are productive up until the time they develop lung cancer
(maybe more so, due to the nicotine high), and because they typically
develop lung cancer after their most productive years but before
their declining years, smoking should be REQUIRED.

The fact that lung cancer typically is not expensive to treat is a plus.

Press reports of the above story are, as usual, missing the essential
truth of the point and are focusing on the "callousness" of the Giant
Corporations.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns