Meatspace,

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jul 17 09:17:03 PDT 2001

    --
Faustine
> Still, if you read the documentation, COINTELPRO was quite a
> formidable program.

According to the FBI documents, a major objective of the
COINTELPRO program was to detect when the Panthers did bad
things, and use those bad things to generate adverse publicity for
the panthers.  But we know the panthers often did bad things
without getting any adverse publicity at the time, which would
indicate the program was not very formidable at all.

An organization like the FBI will always find threats to security,
regardless of whether those threats exist, and will always take
actions against those threats, regardless of whether the threat is
real, or the means legitimate.   We should not conclude from this
that all alleged threats are unreal, any more than we should
conclude them all to be real, nor should we expect the FBI's
actions to be competent or effectual.

The FBI is doubtless formidable when its resources are marshalled
against a lone guy with no money and few friends, but it seems
somewhat less effectual against more formidable targets.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     dejpk8/VC1gQ+BWcMYsPjabAau5ab5Ux6d4TvfaK
     4XFYqIaMT1SgApEjCSCmpCaMCTvaB7yOldgC7IF8n