What NAI is telling people

codehead at ix.netcom.com codehead at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 16 14:29:16 PDT 2001

I just got off the phone with one of the customer service people at
NAI, who informed me that "Encrypted e-mails from certain countries
aren't accepted in the US" and that accepting encrypted email from
one of the "black list" (i.e., North Korea, Libya, Iran, Iraq, China,
etc.) is illegal under US law.

When queried about the issue of *accepting* encrypted e-mail from a
"black-list" country, the customer rep stated that this is what he
was told by higher-ups in the company.

Never mind the issue of web-based email, mail originating from the
dot-com, dot-edu, dot-net or dot-org TLDs, spoofed headers or open
relays.  It was impossible to resist quoting Tim May on the
transparency of national borders, and to point out that so far,
anyway, there was no ubiquitous filter at the borders.  The rep
backpedaled and stated that "some" ISPs, specifically AOL, were
choosing not to accept such email.

Anyone have any idea if any ISPs are refusing to accept encrypted
email from "black-listed" countries?

Or is this just a matter of NAI cluelessness?