Slashdot | Recording Police Misconduct is Illegal

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Jul 16 08:05:56 PDT 2001

Yes, this is correct. If you make a *sound* recording
in this state, all the parties present have to consent
(and, I think, consent). The issue is not that a
recording was made, but that it was made
secretly.

No such limitation exists on video recordings.

[FWIW, my opinion is that a police officer interacting
in his official capacity with a private citizen is *always"
in public, and has no reasonable expectation of
privacy. The court refused arguments based on this,
saying that the law did not provide an 'in public'
exception.

I wonder: If you were being questioned by the
police, and told them you did NOT consent to
being recorded, would they then be required
to stop recording?]

Here's the relevant state law:
[start quote]
Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 272 , ' 99 (1999): It is a crime
to record any conversation, whether oral or wire, without
the consent of all parties in Massachusetts. The
penalty for violating the law is a fine of up to $10,000
and a jail sentence of up to five years.
[end quote]

(http://www.rcfp.org/taping/  is a useful resource)

Similar laws exist in
California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland,
Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire,
Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Peter Trei