Most of a nation on probation (GPS convicts)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jul 15 13:11:46 PDT 2001

    --
On 12 Jul 2001, at 11:30, A. Melon wrote:
>      Which brings this to mind again. This and the Where to go
> thread. So where and what are the disenfranchised to go and do?
> I'm a middle aged IT professional, recently downsized from a
> very good job. I also have a felony conviction for selling pot
> back in the 60's -- big deal, eh? Well it is now -- I've been
> turned down for three jobs because they did a background check.
> I no longer even bother to apply if they mention background
> or drug checks -- which rules out one hell of a lot of places
> these days and it's on the increase. I never had a background
> check before this for any job.

I have never had a background check until after I was hired at my current job.  After I had been hired for a long time, suddenly they did background checks on everyone, though surely by then they knew everyone well enough to know that none of us were likely to run amuk and start shooting
coworkers.

Suddenly background checks are in.  I do not know why.  Guess I should ask.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     3ioZ50uTpQ0lfU+N0bUBR6WAIOG0TlR7rZ9ej25v
     42aW8lUO9htFqGvce/flksyuH0an/Sy96xOU3ilbw