Massachusetts Man Guilty of Wiretapping for Taping Police Harassment

John Albino jalbino at jwalbino.com
Sat Jul 14 10:46:22 PDT 2001

Declan,

Here's an AP article which appeared in the Boston Globe Friday.
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/13/police_recording.htm

The Mass. Supreme Court essentially says that it is illegal wiretapping to
secretly videotape police officers harassing someone during a traffic stop.
Wonder if using a film camera would also be wiretapping?
--
John Albino
mailto:jalbino at jwalbino.com

*********

The opinion is here:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=ma&vol=sjcslip/8429&invol=1
>GREANEY, J. This case raises the issue whether a motorist may be
>prosecuted for violating the Massachusetts electronic surveillance
>statute, G. L. c. 272, § 99, for secretly tape recording statements made
>by police officers during a routine traffic stop. A jury in the District
>Court convicted the defendant on four counts of a complaint charging him
>with unlawfully intercepting the oral communications of another, in
>violation of G. L. c. 272, § 99 F. The defendant appealed, and we granted
>his application for direct appellate review. We conclude that G. L. c.
>272, § 99, strictly prohibits the secret electronic recording by a private
>individual of any oral communication, and makes no exception for a
>motorist who, having been stopped by police officers, surreptitiously tape
>records the encounter. Accordingly, we affirm the judgments of conviction.
>[...]
>
>During the course of the stop, which lasted approximately fifteen to
>twenty minutes, the defendant and his passenger, Daniel Hartesty, were
>ordered out of the automobile, and Hartesty was pat frisked. One officer
>reached into the automobile, picked up a plastic shopping bag that lay on
>the floor by the passenger seat, and looked inside. (The bag contained
>compact discs.) At one point, the defendant stated that the stop was "a
>bunch of bullshit," and that he had been stopped because of his long hair.
>One officer responded, "Don't lay that shit on me." Later, another officer
>called the defendant "an asshole." The defendant was asked whether he had
>any "blow" (cocaine) in the car. [...]

*********

The text of the statute is here:
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/272%2D99.htm