violent antitax protest/riot in US

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Sat Jul 14 11:17:27 PDT 2001

Friday July 13 6:33 AM ET

  Anti-Tax Protests at Tenn. Capitol

  By KARIN MILLER, Associated Press Writer

  NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Protesters hurled rocks through Capitol
  windows, chanted ``no new tax!'' and banged on the locked doors of
  the Senate chamber where Tennessee lawmakers were debating the
  creation of a state income tax.

  The tax plan had died before the protesters arrived Thursday, but when
  word spread that lawmakers had passed a no-tax budget, cheers went
  up among the hundreds of protesters.

  ``The people are passionate when they say, 'no income tax','' said
  Steve Gill, a Nashville radio talk show host who had called on tax
  opponents to swarm the Capitol.

  Anti-tax protests have been frequent the past three years as lawmakers
  considered implementing a state income tax, but the protests had
  always been peaceful - until Thursday.

  Within hours of hearing that the Legislature was considering a
  last-minute income tax plan, protesters swarmed into the area, honking
  car horns, waving signs reading ``Tax Revolt!'' and bringing traffic
  outside the Capitol to a standstill.

  The rock-throwers busted several windows, including one in the
  governor's office. State troopers escorted lawmakers in the halls and
  locked the doors to the Capitol. One state employee trying to lock a
  side door was injured as the weight of the crowd pushed against him.

  No arrests were made and no other injuries were reported.

  ``I appreciate the right of all Americans to free speech and peaceful
  protest. I do not, however, approve of those who advocate violence
  and I regret that occurred at the Capitol,'' Gov. Don Sundquist said in
  a statement.

  Sundquist has said he would veto any budget that didn't include a new
  revenue plan.

  The budget the Legislature passed doesn't include the 3.5 percent
  income tax lawmakers had discussed. It instead cuts $339 million from
  the governor's $19.9 billion spending plan, requires state agencies to
  save an additional $100 million, and uses $560 million in tobacco
  settlement money - four years worth - to balance the budget.

  Sundquist wouldn't say if he would sign it.

  Tennessee is one of nine states without a broad-based income tax, but
  it has one of the highest sales tax rates at 6 percent, with local
  governments adding up to 2.75 percent.

  Sen. Bob Rochelle, a Democratic proponent of a state income tax, had
  argued that the sales tax could be reduced if an income tax was
  implemented. ``The day will come when we won't mistreat our citizens
  any more with that tax,'' he said.

  Republican Sen. David Fowler, an opponent of the income tax, said
  negotiations had already broken down by the time most of the
  protesters arrived.

  One proposal discussed would have put plans for an income tax to a
  statewide vote. Fowler said the protest may have ``effectively killed''
  that as an option.

  ``I don't know if they knew that's what they were doing, but that's what
  they were doing,'' Fowler said.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010713/us/tennessee_capitol_protest_8.html