Taxifornia becomes interplanetary menace (fwd)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jul 13 09:31:34 PDT 2001

At 1:08 AM -0700 7/13/01, petro at lists.bounty.org wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 12:56:02PM +0200, Eugene Leitl wrote:
>>  LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles officials seeking to impose property
>>  taxes on space satellites were brought back down to Earth on Tuesday when
>>  a state board moved toward declaring satellites beyond the reach of even
>>  the tax collector.
>
><...>
>
>>  ``It's ludicrous, absolutely,'' Jamison said. ``It's the type of issue,
>>  quite frankly, that causes the company to consider relocating its base of
>>  operations to a more business-friendly environment.''
>
>	It would serve L.A., and the Peoples Republic right if Hughes
>	moved.

The tax thieves often ignore "moving." Americans who leave the U.S.
and take their assets with them are liable for U.S. taxes for a
decade or so after leaving (over the $70K or so waiver at the low
end).

California taxpayer-units who move to Nevada or Florida find
California attempting to tax their pensions.

I know of a guy who founded a software company, sold out, and moved
to Switzerland. California is still trying to tax him.

If Hughes decamps from L.A., which is possible, for multiple reasons,
expect the tax grabbers to keep after them.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns