General Ashcroft make his move

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Jul 12 21:32:57 PDT 2001

Matt,
Thanks for posting this. I'm not sure why this should be a surprise.

Groups that care about currying favor with Congress and the
administration have a strong incentive to distort the truth to
constitutents in hopes of persuading them that awful compromises are
not.

To use examples from the Net, the Center for Democracy and Technology
circa 1995-1996 backed a bill that would criminalize "harmful to
minors" material online.  In part this was due to a desire to remain
influential on Capitol Hill rather than taking a more extreme
position. (http://www.epic.org/cda/hyde_letter.html) EFF cut a (bad)
deal on CALEA and backed a flawed bill around the same time
(http://cyberwerks.com/cyberwire/cwd/cwd.94.09.14.html).

This is not to say those groups would do the same thing now, of course.

The other approach is to hew to principle, with the understanding that
you'll be less effective as a lobbyist. Deal-cutting is the currency
of Washington politics, and if you don't do it you don't have much to
spend. The ACLU's lobbyists take this approach. (So do groups like
CEI, EPIC, and Cato, though they don't really lobby. I've seen Gun
Owners of America take the same no-compromise stand.)

The NRA doesn't see things the same way, and their approach does make
them more influential. There may be other factors as well, but it
should be no surprise that Fortune magazine's poll of Hill staffers
reports that staffers from both major parties rank the NRA among the
top five or so most influential groups. The no compromise groups don't
make the list.

Also, this issue may be part of a pretty complicated political
analysis. For instance, the NRA may want the help of the Bush
administration (a veto over a bad campaign finance bill) in one area
so will laud them here even when the praise is undeserved.  NRA
lobbyists may be betting that a paean to Ashcroft now will let them
bank political capital that can be spent against a gun bill later.
Strategically, if the NRA takes the extreme step of later denouncing
Ashcroft, this current pro-Ashcroft campaign will make the media take
their later statements more seriously.

Then again, it could be an honest mistake on the part of the NRA
in leaving out that key footnote. Has anyone asked them?

-Declan
www.mccullagh.org