Who can tax a satellite?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jul 12 01:43:12 PDT 2001

At 10:19 PM -1000 7/11/01, Reese wrote:
>At 09:57 PM 7/11/01, Tim May wrote:
>>At 8:31 PM -1000 7/11/01, Reese wrote:

>>News flash to Reese: Airlines DO make payments or other
>>considerations to nations they fly over.
>
>Do they also land in those countries they make payments to, pick up and
>drop passengers off?  Or are you saying "Zed Airlines" that has no offices
>and makes no stops in "Zilch" but flies over it, makes payments to it?
>
>One real world example of such.

Learn to use a search engine. Search on the obvious terms, like
"airlines overflight payments."

The first such hit you will find in Google, one of hundreds, is:

"FAA ESTIMATES CUBA OWES US$1 MILLION FOR OVERFLIGHT FEES-
Information obtained from an inquiry to the Federal Aviation
Administration (FAA) within the United States Department of
Transportation by the U.S.-Cuba Trade and Economic Council shows that
Republic of Cuba government-operated Cubana Airlines and Republic of
Cuba government-operated AeroCaribbean Airlines were invoiced
approximately US$1 million by the FAA for the period May 1997 to 31
January 1998 for overflight fees."

Is this enough for the "one real world example"?

Or, like many quibblers, do you claim that "one example" is not enough?

Picking from the many items,

"Overflight fees from commercial aircraft flying over Georgia will
repay the loan."

I think I'll stop with two examples. You can do the rest of the work.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns