Who can tax a satellite?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jul 12 00:57:30 PDT 2001

At 8:31 PM -1000 7/11/01, Reese wrote:

>I doubt it, or it would already be a dead issue.

Sure. Things happen instantaneously. Oz is all powerful.

>>For several decades the U.S. (and presumably Russia/FSU) has
>>convinced the nations of the world that fees need not be paid to
>>India, Botswana, and Shakedownistan just because U.S. satellites pass
>>overhead. If L.A. is able to shake down Hughes for some tax to be
>>distributed to the welfare bums and crack hoes, then Botswana and
>>Shakedownistan will be next in line.
>
>They aren't talking about rotating satellites though, they are talking
>about geostationary ones, ones that hover over CA,

None of them hover _over_ CA. Physically impossible. The Clarke Belt
is well-defined. Look into it.

>  or are property that
>is administered from CA - not quite the same thing as passing overhead,
>or every airline would end up owing to every nation and state it flies
>over _for the act of flying over_ also.

News flash to Reese: Airlines DO make payments or other
considerations to nations they fly over.

Jeesh. Every summer brings the return of "Reese" and "Petro."

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns