Who can tax a satellite?

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 11 17:58:23 PDT 2001

At 08:58 AM 7/11/01 -0700, mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>I suppose, as with any racket, whoever has the ability to knock the
>satellites down or render them inoperable could levy a "tax" on them.

Heh, right on.  But some dingleberry in LA is not about to violate an
international
space treaty without *really* needing the publicity.  The treaty that
says you don't fight in space.  (Yes, I know its toast when next the US
needs to perform a little orbital cleansing.)

Besides, when multiple gangs see an untaxed (but coercable) resource, they'll
fight amongst themselves first for the territory.