DCSB: David Birch; European Wireless E-Commerce

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Jul 11 08:44:45 PDT 2001

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties,
but see below for details. While it lasts, anyway. Since last year's
dot-bomb, the suit-ratio in the main dining room has been
asymptotically approaching unity. :-). --RAH]

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents

                          David G.W. Birch,
                     Director, Consult Hyperion

                "M-Commerce and Wireless E-Commerce:
                      A European Perspective"

                       Tuesday, August 7th, 2001
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                    One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Getting from the general view that m-commerce will be huge to the
specifics of which business models will come to dominate the sector
is difficult. First, no one knows anything about mobile data and so
we have little to go on to make predictions. Second, the speed and
unpredictability of technological evolution make it hard to stabilise
the platform for services (especially when comparing North American
wireless e-commerce with European m-commerce efforts). Third, there
are legal, political and social issues yet to be resolved.

Yet there have been some successes, and it is worth looking at them
to try and understand the dynamics behind them. What are the real
lessons to be learned from Japan's iMode? Why is business moving in
on the text messaging boom? Is good old e-mail turning out to be the
"killer app"? To what extent does the SIM shape the future? Does the
French micropayments launch change anything? Do Australian Coca-Cola
machines provide a window on the future or a diversion? Who will
benefit most from E911 and the introduction of location-based
services (my tip: lawyers).

This presentation attempts an overview of these issues, against the
backdrop of the 3G transition, and combines it with experience gained
advising leaders in the m-commerce field to try and make some
sensible predictions about the direction of the m-commerce sector.

David G.W. Birch is a Director of Consult Hyperion, one of the UK's
leading e-commerce consultancies, which he helped found after several
years working as a consultant in Europe, the Far East and North
America. Their clients -- ranging from Mastercard and Microsoft to
Orange and NTT Data -- are working at the leading edge of commerce on
line.

A physicist by training, Dave has lectured on the impact of new
communications technologies to MBA level. He has been on the
editorial board of the Financial Times Virtual Finance Report and
Microsoft's Finance on Windows, as well as the editorial advisory
board for European Business Review. He chaired the Centre for the
Study of Financial Innovation's first working group on the Internet
and Retail Banking and is the moderator of First Tuesday's Wireless
Wednesday resource for mobile entrepreneurs. He has written for
publications ranging from The Guardian to the Parliamentary IT Review
and is a media commentator on electronic commerce issues. He is the
author, with payment systems consultant Mike Hendry, of last year's
Informa report "Retail & Consumer Payments in Europe and North
America".

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, August 7th, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch
of the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for
lunch is $37.50. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware
if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed
its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers
or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance,
we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds
you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, August 4th, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will have to be sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $37.50. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

September Arnold Reinhold  Product "Q"; Crypto Market Failures
October   Jean Camp        Trust and Risk in Digital Commerce

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston,
send "info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto:
e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a message to
<mailto: majordomo at reservoir.com> . We look forward to seeing you
there!

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com