Meatspace,

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Jul 10 17:57:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Faustine wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> >Ghandi. Womens Sufferage (US). Jim Crow Laws (US). Vietnam. Civil Rights
> >in the 60's.
> >The point being, there are plenty of historical precidence where this sort
> >of behaviour has led directly to the change desired by the protestors
> >against a much better armed and entrenched foe.
>
> It depends on which sort of behavior you mean--none of these causes
> believed in violence at all!

Um, you should review the 60's groups like the SDS and such. And while
Ghandi certainly didn't believe in violence the same can't be said for the
rest of the Indian freedom movement (not all hailed to Ghandi). As to
women sufferage, you need to do some more research there as well, not all
women are pascifist. they burned more than bra's...

You paint with too broad a brush (typical of the indoctrinating education
of the day - going all the way back to when I was a kid in the 60's).

> Back in the day, anarchists used to assasinate people.

Every ilk assassinates every other ilk if given the oportunity and the
personality.

> What came of it?

The Indians are a free country. You and blacks can vote.

The reality is, your example of the 'troops in the street willing to gun
'em down' (a paraphrase) is apt. The only thing stopping them is knowing
that the majority of people don't believe it. They still believe in the
'kindly policeman who's there to help you' of their youth. Want to see the
other side? Kent State.

> The Sacco and Vanzetti case. Here's an
> uncomforably familiar bit on that--just fill in new details and it's as
> contemporary as ever:

One case does not a generalization make.

> Ouch. There's a real lesson there!

Yeah, you need to study history more.

> Besides, I think a lot of the success of the symbolic protests you
> mentioned were actually a logical result of what was going on behind the
> scenes

No shit? That is true of everything!!!!

You're trying to sit on the fence and at the same time stand on both
sides.

                                      Ludwig Wittgenstein

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com