Crypto hardware (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Jul 10 16:02:31 PDT 2001

Please reply to Mr. Crispin.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:28:08 -0700
From: Kent Crispin <kent at songbird.com>
To: cryptography at wasabisystems.com
Subject: Crypto hardware

A couple of years ago at the RSA conference one of the vendors was
exhibiting a tamperproof that would keep a secret key and perform
encryptions/signatures using the key.  Since the key never left the
box, in theory security reduced to physical security around the box.
The intended use of the box was as a master for a CA.  I thought the
vendor was GTE, but I didn't find anything definitive on their site.

Does this description trigger any recollection?  Are there similar
devices on the market from other sources?

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

                                      Ludwig Wittgenstein

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com