lawyer physics (was taxing satellites)

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Jul 10 12:24:20 PDT 2001

> ----------

...you can find anything on the net if you choose to look....

This was the Pionner Venus Orbiter, built by Hughes and
launched in 1978.

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/diamond.txt
-----------------
FROM: "Dr. Mark W. Lund" <mlund at moxtek.com>
SUBJECT: Re: Who makes big diamond windows?
DATE: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:11:44 -0600
ORGANIZATION: MOXTEK, Inc.
NEWSGROUPS: sci.optics

Nelson Wallace wrote:

> "Big" meaning around 1 inch diameter, say 0.1" thick.
> Regards,  Nelson Wallace

Wow, you TRW-government-contracting-no-holds-barred-
success-at-any-cost-if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it guys have all the
fun.

Hughes Aircraft bought the diamond window on the Venus probe
nephelometer from DeBeers.  I remember that it was suggested to
the principle investigator that he could save a lot of money if he
used two smaller windows, but he was worried that they might  not
be the same temperature, so he splurged. I also remember that when
the probe landed on Venus the US Customs people refunded the
customs duty, since the diamond had been re-exported.