Meatspace anonymity manual

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Tue Jul 10 11:30:42 PDT 2001

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Faustine wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I don't see how any kind of "short-term tactic for possibly
>> illegal operations on the street in an environment full of police"
>> could be good for anything more than the symbolic. What did these
>
> Frankly, I think you're missing the point.
>
>> "illegal operations"  really accomplish apart from getting out a
>
> The point of the bloc noir attire is to attempt establishing anonymity
> in meatspace.

Sure, but to what end? It's hardly an irrelevant question...

>This is the issue we're discussing, and it's strictly
> orthogonal to protester's other agenda.

Fine. So how much anonymity do you anticipate having after the feds squirt
a little of some new "nonlethal" substance straight down the middle of the
thing and your vinegar hankies just aren't up to it? Go ahead, rack
yourselves up like billiard balls for them--I'm sure they'll appreciate how
much easier it is cleaning up the sticky foam afterwards. Speaking of
which, here's a great quote about "nonlethals" from an awesome (and
frightening) book on urban operations, "The City's Many Faces" by Russell
W. Glenn, quoting someone from LASD:

"When I was in Somalia we had issues with foams, particularly sticky foam.
I recall a conversation with our staff Judge Advocate that went something
like this:

"Gunner, what happens if you shoot someone in the face?"

I said, "Sir?"

He says, "Will it stick their lips shut?"

I replied "yes Sir, it'll stick their lips shut."

He says, "Well, they'll die."

I said "yes Sir, and that's why *we* dont call it nonlethal.""

So much for that. The other emerging crowd control technologies might make
you reconsider, too. Worth a look!!

And think of what a person really needs to be fully prepared to go into a
riot situation--you'd be outfitted and equipped just like a fed. That's a
clue for you right there. Of course, I guess you could always spraypaint
your class IV body armor, locking plates, aramid fiber helmets etc. etc.
pink or something. Or green. Now *that* would be a turtle suit worth
talking about. But since nobody thinks its worth explaining why the bloc
noir is more than symbolic, I guess it's a moot point.

And IMHO the best way to achieve anonymity in meatspace? A great place to
start would be by not deliberately engaging in "possibly illegal operations
on the street in an environment full of police". You're doomed before you
ever get started. But I could be wrong. Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Something to think about...

~Faustine.