Satellite taxes

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Jul 10 11:49:29 PDT 2001

Um, wouldn't a natural way to assess property taxes be to first decide
in which jurisdiction the property rests? For instance project the
boundary of jurisdictions into space from the geometrical center of the
earth. In which case it would probably be Brazil that should be
collecting the taxes and Hughes would be writing off the taxes as a cost
thereby reducing the taxes collected in California. Look for the
locations over international waters to get crowded. And what about the
surveillance satellites or Russian television satellites with polar
orbits? Should we set up manned toll booths to exact a fee and do the
agricultural inspection as they pass the projected borders? Or should we
say that the jurisdiction is that from which the property was launched?
BTW where do they launch these things from?

Just another useless publicity hound. I hope the idea gets permanently
mired in the courts.