Who Said This?

John Starta john at starta.org
Sun Jul 8 19:58:00 PDT 2001

The quote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it" is widely attributed to Voltaire, but cannot be found
in his writings. The phrase was invented by a later author as an epitome of
his attitude. It appeared in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), written by
Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym S[tephen] G. Tallentyre.