Meatspace anonymity manual

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Jul 8 08:47:24 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:52:36PM -0400, Faustine wrote:
> Making a few gestures pantomiming paramilitary operations is just plain
> suicidal. The bottom line is that in a protest-type situation, you're
> relying on the power of negative PR to keep the police from mowing you down
> any old time they feel like it. It doesn't matter what color you wear or
> how tight you march, you're still as vulnerable as anyone else if you don't
> have some serious, serious gear and training. And is that really the
> direction you're prepared to go? Think about it.

Perhaps some Black Block types and other Seattlish protesters do have
such gear and training, but the ones I've run across
(http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/2001-bush-inauguration-highlights.html)
do not.

Besides, the police will always have more resources and will probably
be able to stop you from legally possessing the cooler gear you really
need (http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/dem-protests-00.html).

-Declan