Dot-commers to blame for anti-capitalist violence, says WTO

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri Jul 6 15:54:06 PDT 2001

> From: 	Jim Choate[SMTP:ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com]
> Subject: 	The Register - Dot-commers to blame for anti-capitalist
> violence, says WTO

> --

This one is actually worth looking at, so I'm going
to do what Jim lacks the ability, intelligence, manners,
social grace,  and common decency to do: post a
nicely formatted copy of the refered article (its short).

Note what the Internet means to the WTO
maximum leader.

Peter Trei

-----------------------------

Dot-commers to blame for anti-capitalist
violence, says WTO boss
By Andrew Orlowski

"Dot com types" are to blame for the violence at recent
gatherings of the World Trade Organisation, according to WTO
director general Mike Moore.

Moore made his remarks in Geneva, in an appeal for citizens
groups (NGOs) to distance themselves from "masked
stone-throwers who claim to want more transparency,
anti-globalization dot.com-types who trot out slogans that
are trite, shallow and superficial," he said.

Which came as news to us. We thought "dot com" types were
too busy braying into mobile phones and snorting enormous
quantities of Bolivian marching powder as they vandalised a
communication infrastructure created at great public expense
for research purposes, with marketing plans that would get a
six year old suspended from kindergarten for frivolity.

They'd certainly be the last group we'd suspect of
complaining about capitalism.

"Critics, who are not all mad or bad, frequently say we have
too much power," Moore conceded generously.

Moore then went on to propose a contract demanding
"transparency from NGOs as to their membership, their
finances, their rules of decision-making," which most
citizens groups will find deliciously ironic.

Alas, we suspect, he was being serious.

A full text of Moore's speech can be found here
http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/spmm_e/spmm67_e.htm