Meatspace anonymity manual

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Fri Jul 6 13:52:36 PDT 2001

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Anonymous Coredump wrote:
>
> >THE BLACK "BLOC" The whole idea of a Black Bloc is that people wear all
> >black, and stay in a tight formation. If people don't stay in formation,
> >and wander around with large gaps in-between, well, that's not a black
> >bloc, that's a march of anarchists wearing black.
>
> Now, let me get this straight...anarchists whose primary display of
ideology
> is to stay in tight formation? I understand that anarchy does not imply
lack
> of organization...but formations? Sheesh.

>So are you being sarcastic or are you really failing to understand
>that Black Blocs are a short-term tactic for possibly illegal
>operations on the street in an environment full of police, and not
>some demonstrative symbol of anarchist philosophy representing their
>vision of society?

Frankly, I don't see how any kind of "short-term tactic for possibly illegal
operations on the street in an environment full of police" could be good
for anything more than the symbolic. What did these "illegal operations"
really accomplish apart from getting out a statement? Serious question. I'm
just not seeing it.

Making a few gestures pantomiming paramilitary operations is just plain
suicidal. The bottom line is that in a protest-type situation, you're
relying on the power of negative PR to keep the police from mowing you down
any old time they feel like it. It doesn't matter what color you wear or
how tight you march, you're still as vulnerable as anyone else if you don't
have some serious, serious gear and training. And is that really the
direction you're prepared to go? Think about it.

A few acts of vandalism isn't exactly anything I'd call significant. And
it's kind of sad that you really think anyone with real power and influence
actually gives a damn about anything that happens at these protests to
begin with. Sure, it keeps their PR spokesmen spinning, but otherwise it's
laughed off as a total joke and annoyance. You don't have to like it to
realize that's the way it is.

So why not spend your time writing some useful and relevant software or
books instead, something that really makes an impact. Creativity, not
destruction.

At any rate, it sure beats facing the prospect of rotting in jail as a
political prisoner on trumped-up destruction of property charges--sending
your whole life straight down the toilet for absolutely nothing.

But it's your lives, do whatever you want. I'm sure you will.

~Faustine.