Meatspace anonymity manual

Anonymous Coredump mixmaster at remailer.segfault.net
Thu Jul 5 09:46:18 PDT 2001

http://www.iprimus.ca/~dawnone/bbloc.htm
-----

excerpt:

THE BLACK "BLOC" The whole idea of a Black Bloc is that people wear all
black, and stay in a tight formation. If people don't stay in formation,
and wander around with large gaps in-between, well, that's not a black
bloc, that's a march of anarchists wearing black. A black bloc requires
that people stay tight and stay alert. In Cincinnati, we did very well
with this idea. People (for the most part) stayed tight and alert, and
there were very few instances where gaps became a problem. In DC (IMF
Protests), this was a *huge* problem. The Bloc was very loose, and a lot
of times, it seemed like people were not alert to what was going on.
This luckily didn't turn too ugly, but if the cops didn't have their
heads so far up their ass, they could have used that opportunity to
divide us and make mass arrests. We cannot allow any opportunity for
them to do that, an injury to one is an injury to all, remember.

BLACK BLOC ATTIRE Seattle was probably the most effective Black Bloc
we've seen in this country, and yet there was one glaring mistake that
the Black Bloc made. Their black bloc attire wasn't exactly anonymous.
It all boils down to this: Wearing a bandanna doesn't mean much if you
have blue hair and a huge "Aus Rotten" patch on your back. Part of the
purpose of a Black Bloc is to provide anonymity for it's members. You
are not doing yourself or your comrades any service by dressing in a
distinct way. Individuality is great and all, but sometimes it's okay to
ditch it for a few hours in order to avoid jail time. Cincinnati was
definitely better in this regard, but in order for a Black Bloc to truly
be effective, then that means that we should dress appropriately. This
means, black jeans or pants, black hooded sweatshirt, black shoes, and,
if necessary, plain black jackets. Face masks should be plain black,
whether bandannas or ski masks. Most black bandannas that are purchased
are black and white. This is not good. You're better off just cutting a
piece of plain black cloth into a bandanna shape.As the police and the
FBI learn more about anarchist culture, they're going to become much
better at singling people out based on patches or clothing. They didn't
have much experience with it in Seattle, which is why people were able
to get away with wearing patch-pants or other distinctive outfits, but
rest assured that they're getting better at it, which means that we're
going to have to get better at dressing properly.