Most of a nation on probation?

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jul 5 11:10:03 PDT 2001

    --
On 4 Jul 2001, at 16:09, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> I'm sure that "cost-effectiveness" has a role to play here.  I just don't
> agree that the cost savings of parole are all that big a factor.  The US has
> more prisoners per capital than just about anyone

I am inclined to doubt this much touted statistic -- for example china is estimated to have executed a thousand people last month, not withstanding the fact that it is routinely claimed that the US leads the world in executions.  There are more executions reported in a day in China than in a year
in the US, and most go unreported.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     neI92PXMeEo+ptXtc+YRJz9i0lF53Zg8kfnOHDu/
     4uBqot95kQAC2bLElfCbSoo0OKuQMBfzYKirulFIW