The Libertarian Approach to Contracts (eg GPS Speed Regulation)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Jul 4 20:33:13 PDT 2001

Why is there no mention in the contract of:

- Providing the customer the data upon return to the shop for review

- A dispute mechanism (heavily used I predict)

- Why should the auto manufacturer know all the places I've been in their
  car, what if the locations are business sensitive

- Can the rental agency sell that data to others

- Is it ethical to sell the data to the drivers regular insurance carrier
  even though there is no indication that the behaviour in the rental
  auto is comparable to behaviour in their own car (I know lots of people
  who figure 'I paid the insurance and it ain't my car, what the hell')

- And who arbitrates the dispute, clearly it shouldn't be the rental
  agency as they have a vested interest

The typical Libertarian approach is to support whatever puts the primary
service provider (Libertarians almost always use producer-consumer
examples, why is that?) in the primary profit making position and the
service consumer in the least protected position. The typical Libertarian
figures that if you can make a buck of the sucker, then any failure or
harm in the contract by the provider is the dumb blind luck of the
consumer.

The concept of 'fair' is a pretty rare concept for most Libertarians.

Then again, what is 'fair'? (Being a Pantheist the concept of 'absolute
right/wrong' is foreign to me, only within the concept of human psychology
and a specific social milieu is it definable)

                                      Ludwig Wittgenstein

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com