Most of a nation on probation?

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 4 15:34:45 PDT 2001

Tim May wrote:

> The entire parole process is itself
> an open sore on our justice system.

Yes and no.  I know I'd rather be on parole than in the slammer.  (Of
course, given the choice I'd go for "none of the above.")  I have an
acquaintance who just got out after being in for seven years.  Even though
she is required to live in a half-way house, cannot go anywhere but work nor
may visit anyone without express permission of her parole officer, she's
very happy to at least be out in the world and not locked up.

The problem is not that parole exists--be thankful that it does.  The
problem is the criminalization of every area of life.

 S a n d y