Slashdot | Using GPS To Catch Speeders Found Illegal

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 3 13:36:46 PDT 2001

At 10:43 AM -0700 7/3/01, Steve Schear wrote:
>At 08:31 AM 7/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>http://slashdot.org/articles/01/07/03/0423218.shtml
>
>Somehow I feel we haven't heard the end of this..

I see people on Slashdot and various other fora cheering this.

They don't understand the rights issues involved. The owner of a
piece of property, such as a car, has the property and contract right
to set up a contract as he sees fit.

The first part of the ruling, that the contract was not clear enough,
I can mostly accept. Future contracts will spell this out in more
detail, in larger type fonts. And more people will have been exposed
to the idea. There may be posters put up in rental offices.

The second part of the ruling is an invalid attack on the property
and contract rights of the owner of the property.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns