Cloning, miscarriange, and the 1st

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Tue Jul 3 10:41:56 PDT 2001

At 08:22 AM 7/3/2001 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>The fact is that if clonning research is stopped then the low success rate
>will continue. A self-fulfilling prophecy. If it is allowed to go forward
>in a very short time (a year perhaps) the problems will be ironed out and
>the success rate will exceed 'natural' (Grrrr Judeo-Christian ethics)
>rates of success.
>
>Eugenics - the management of reproductive choice by the state.
>
>What we need to do is outlaw the imposition of religious and political
>viewpoints from the discussion....wait....
>
>                                  Amendment I
>
>Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
>prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
>or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
>petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The problem with this argument is that despite the apparent religious
agnosticism of the 1st, the moral basis upon which the SC has interpreted
our laws is Judeo-Christian. Historically you've been protected from
government intrusion unless your religion offends too many powerful people
or presents political challenges. Consider the Mormons and shamanic drug
rituals of the native Americans.  Didn't Mao say something about all
politics being, eventually, dispensed from the end of gun?

steve