Tampa using cameras to scan for wanted faces--

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Mon Jul 2 18:14:15 PDT 2001

So, how extensive is the database? Just locals?
If the person was never arrested, do they use
DMV photos?

http://www.baynews9.com/newsstory.asp?storyname=2001/June/30/ybor
#
#    YBOR CAMERA FOLLOW UP
#
#    Monday, July 2, 2001 In a follow up to a story we brought you
#    about new surveillance cameras in Ybor City, Bay News 9 would
#    like to apologize for an error in the on-line script.
#
#    Police, using pole-mounted, remotely-controlled surveillance
#    cameras, can now scan crowds of people and feed their digital
#    images into a databank with the purpose of finding a match on
#    anyone with an outstanding arrest warrant.
#
#    In our original report, Bay News 9 inaccurately reported that
#    the Visionics Corporation maintained the database.
#
#    According to the company, the database is maintained by the
#    Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office and Tampa Police Department
#    and only contains images of those wanted on outstanding warrants.
#
#    We apologize and regret the error.

----

Declan, how did you find the Tampa story?