Banned Research and Raids on "Secret Labs"

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sun Jul 1 12:38:10 PDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Tim May wrote:

>Yeah, and if I "claim" that I am "just weeks away" from being ready
>to release a digital money system, can I expect a raid?  Is there no
>consideration of common sense, or are prosecutors just flunkouts in
>science who can't separate speech acts from actual violations of the
>law?

Your point is well taken; however, it is simply pragmatic that
when one is mere weeks away from releasing a digital money system,
given the current legal environment, one MUST NOT say so.

In order to maintain anonymity in the current legal environment,
a digital money system will have to be independent of all nation
states -- hence, not overtly tied to nor created by any known
organization or person.

This presents major logistical difficulties for the idea of a
"unified" system with a single currency; it becomes very difficult
for an issuing authority to "redeem on demand" without becoming
known.  The difficulties are different for the "every member a
mint" model, but by no means less.

			Bear