Saw your post.Need help

Kevin Cousins Kevin.Cousins at reuters.com
Wed Jan 31 15:11:43 PST 2001

On 31/01/2001 08:37:55 PM OMC wrote:
> Is there any way to track down someones address from ip number.  Someone is
> sending me malicious email and i want to identify who he is.

> I have his basic information.  Can you help me?

Your request arrived on the cypherpunks maimling list, a general discussion
forum for cryptology, so I don't quite see how your query is particularly
relevant to that topic.

That aside, assuming you're asking about /machine names and web addresses/, then
you're asking about fundamental domain name system operating issues, and as
such, you should be able to find the answer to your question in any of dozens of
texts, or else a quick web search will reveal all you need to know.  Focus your
query on "DNS reverse lookup" or similar.  Note: for some long time, Microsoft,
in their (questionable) wisdom, released severely incomplete implementations of
DNS tools, effectively making reverse lookup infeasible.  I'm almost certain
that they've now had to bow to peer pressure and implement it properly, so to
some extent, your success will depend on how current your Microsoft installation
actually is.

Alternatively, if you're instead asking how to determine someone's street
address given only an IP address, then you seek an answer as daft as the one
you'd get if you asked "How do I determine someone's street address given only a
malicious letter (which presumably has no return address) that they've sent to
me".  I suppose it might be doable in some sense (you might be able to find the
postal address of the ISP used by your malicious correspondent), but to attempt
such an investigation would mark you as a great prat.

--
Kevin.

the views of Reuters Ltd.