Whats NOOS?

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 09:35:20 PST 2001

"Trei, Peter" wrote:

> I love these scavenger hunts.
> It's possible (probable!) that none of these are
> what you want.
>
> A Google search turns up:
> -----------------
> NOOS Space Technologies Limited
> is a Russian Satcom group:
> http://www.fas.org/spp/civil/russia/nst.htm
> This looks like a possibility, though what
> they'd be doing in Dennmark is anyones
> guess. The presence of an American does
> not mean much - he could be a contractor.
>
> Links from that site are intriguing.

Alta Vista, as always is richer if not faster than Googol. The first hit
on Alta Vista is to an Italian translation of TS Eliot's Little Gidding
(wa wonderful poem :-)

There are some computer resellers in Kiev: http://www.noos.kiev.ua/

> ------------------
> http://www.vnh.org/Admin/Afloat/Afloat01.html
> This looks interesting. The document appears to
> deal with handling accidents in the US Navy. It
> contains lines such as
>
> " a.COMSC Safety Office (NOOS) shall"
>
> the OS in NOOS could be Operational or Occupational
> Safety. NOOS appears to be a title for a US Naval officer
> with safety responsibilities.

There are links suggested to  http://www.norva.navy.mil/navosh/ which is
some sort of training college  ("industrial hygiene"is one of the
courses) - perhaps it is to do with the COMSC (NOOS) Peter already
mentioned at  http://www.vnh.org/Admin/Afloat/Afloat03.html  - which is
I guess back to the original sealift idea.

> Noos is apparently the name of a cable operator/ISP? of Suez
> Lyonnaise des Eaux,  partially owned by Morgan Stanley
> Dean Witter, an American company.
>
> http://www.francetelecomna.com/nr/nr_prre/nr_prre_08-07-00_noos.htm
> http://www.apec.asso.fr/entreprise/32910827800048-noos/
> http://noos.free.fr seems to be an independent group for users of
> NOOS
>
> This also looks like a good possibility
> -------------
> Sillier ones:
>
> Network of Objectivist Scholars (http://www.objectivist-scholars.net/)
> Nah, I don't think the Randites are building radomes in Dennmark
> (sounds like something out of Illuminatus!)
> -------------
> Nigi Nigi Nu Noos e Nu Nu Noos is the name of a resort at
> Balabag, Boracay Island, Malaya
> http://www.bridgestravel.com/nigi-nigi/index.htm
> (I know that's not it, but could not resist the temptation to
> type Nigi Nigi Nu Noos e Nu Nu Noos :-)
> -----------
> Noos is of course, ancient Greek for 'mind'.

Or they could be clammies - the Prophet Elron explained the origins of
the word "Dianetics" as "Dia - through, noos - mind".

Ken Brown

> Nasda Ocean Observation System
> http://www.ioccg.org/thailand/noos.html
http://www.aic.nrl.navy.mil/~aha/research/old/iccbr-95-summary.txt has a
reference to "Cases as feature values in the NOOS language" - unlikely
toi be relevant.

But True Conspiracy theorists  will want to connect it to "Summer Noos"
on Blackhawk Helicopters at:
http://www.nvctc.commnet.edu/conncap/page2.htm
Obviously a paramilitary training camp designed to indoctrinate American
Youth into the statist grasp of the enforcers of the New World Order.

My guess is the Nasda lot. They seem to be into GIS & remote sensing &
also work with Unesco & some UK universities, so I guess they could turn
up more or less anywhere - though in that case why the heavies?  Danes
are usually a lot less hassled by tourists wandering around uninvited
than, say Russians. Or even Americans.

Ken Brown

And I thought lawyers were jargon-ridden:

Trying this URL:
http://searchpdf2.adobe.com:9000/cgi-bin/query?mss=simple&pg=q&what=web&user=searchintranet&enc=iso88591&site=main&filter=intranet&kl=XX&q=hq+MILSTAMP+af+DLMSO+navy+BELVOIR+hqamc+alexandria+COMSC+WASHINGTON+DC+DA+WASHINGTON+DC+HQ+DECA+FT+HQ+USAF+WASHINGTON+DLMSO+FT+BELVOIR+DLA+FT+BELVOIR+DFAS+HQ+WASHINGTON+FM+DLMSO+FT

reveals > 40,000 documents more or less like:

Please note, the transfer of MILSTAMP to TRANSCOM is the primary agenda
item for both segments (Vol 1 and Vol 2) of the meeting. McLean, VA
22101- 3403 (703) 275- 5225(703) 275- 5606 (Fax) DSN =235 Website:
http:// www. dlmso. hq. dla. mil/ ===== eFollows===== ROUTINE R 112009Z
FEB 99 FM PTC EMAIL SYSTEM WASH DC TO DA EMAIL CUSTOMER// DLATCC// R
111737Z FEB 99 INFO DA WASHINGTON DC// DALO-TSD// HQ USAF WASHINGTON
DC// LGTT// CDRMTMC FALLS CHURCH VA// MTOP- CD/- OS/ MTRM/ MTAQ// HQ AMC
SCOTT AFB IL// SONC/ DOJC/ FM/ DAO DE FA// COMSC WASHINGTON DC// N83//
DFAS OPLOC NORFOLK VA// FP UNCLAS SUBJECT:  MILSTAMP MEETINGS REF: (A)
DLMSO E- MAILS OF 01/ 08/ 1999 (VOLUME 1) AND 01/ 13/  1999 (VOLUME 2);
SAME SUBJECT AS REQUESTED IN THE E- MAIL, WE WOULD  APPRECIATE
ATTENDANCE BY THE MILSTAMP FOCAL POINT PRIMARY AND/ OR ALTERNATE, AND
YOUR SERVICE/ AGENCY TRANSPORTATION PRINCIPAL. PLEASE  PROVIDE THE NAME
AND RANK/ GRADE OF YOUR ATTENDEES TO DLMSO NO LATER  THAN 16 FEBRUARY
1999. AGENDA FOR MILSTAMP VOLUME I: 0800 - INTRODUCTIONS  AND
ADMINISTRATIVE REMARKS 0815 - REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS  MEETINGS
MINUTES 0830 - REVIEW OF PMCLS 0915 - BREAK 0930 - REVIEW OF AMCLS  1000
- OTHER VOLUME I ISSUES 1030 - USTRANSCOM (FUTURE OF MILSTAMP VOLUME  1)
(OTHER ISSUES TO BE DISSEMINATED SEPARATELY) 1130 - LUNCH POINTS OF
 CONTACT FOR THESE MEETINGS ARE WILLIE FITZHUGH, MILSTAMP VOLUME I,
(703) 275- 5243, DSN 235, FAX 5606, E- MAIL: WILLIAM_ FITZHUGH@ HQ. DLA.
MIL; FOR MILSTAMP  VOLUME II, DENNIS THOMAS, (703) 275- 5225, DSN 235,
FAX 5606, E- MAIL: DENNIS_  THOMAS@ HQ. DLA. MIL  Keywords: hq,
MILSTAMP, af, DLMSO, navy, BELVOIR, hqamc, alexandria, COMSC WASHINGTON
DC, DA WASHINGTON DC, HQ DECA FT, HQ USAF WASHINGTON, DLMSO FT BELVOIR,
DLA FT BELVOIR, DFAS HQ WASHINGTON, FM DLMSO FT

And as for this - where is Echelon when you need it?

RIES, MOD 3,  AUTOMATED COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS\ INTRODUCTION TO DATA
COMMUNICATION  NAVEDTRA A95- 03- 44- 89 CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN TRAINING
SERIES, MOD 9, FLEET  OPERATIONS TACTICAL CRYPTOLOGIC MANAGEMENT
NAVEDTRA A95- 09- 00- 87  COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322 COMNAVSECGRU (CODE
G1322) COMNAVSECGRU  (CODE G1322) COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322) COMNAVSECGRU
(CODE G1322)  CRYPTOIOGIC TECHNICIAN TRAINING COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322)
SERIES, MOD 10,  FLEET OPERATIONS - FOREIGN NAVAL STUDIES; WARSAW PA~;
GUIDE TO THE SOVIET  NAVY NAVEDTRA A95- 10- OO- 87 Enclosure (1) 2 --
COURBE TITLE/ NAVEDTRA  NUMBER CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN TRAINING SERIES,
MOD 11, CTM ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION NAVEDTRA A95- 11- 44- 88
COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322)  COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322) CONMAVSECGRU (CODE
G1322) BUMED BUMED  BUMED CNO (OP- 39) COMNAVCOMTELCOM (Code N- 121B
HISTORY OF THE CHAPLAIN  CORPS, PART I NAVEDTRA 10906- 4 4 Enclosure (1)
gOURSE SPONSOR BUMED BUMED  CNO (OP- 151) BUMED NAVACCTGFINCEN (NAFC- 3)
BUMED COMNAVAIRSYSCOM (PMA  205- 41) BUMED COMNAVINTCOM (NIC- 01)
NAVPETOFF NAVOCEANO CNET BUMED  BUMED CNO (OP- 097 BUMED CNO (OP- 39)
BUMED CNO (OP- 39) CNO (OP- 39) CNO (OP-  354G) CNO (OP- 39) CNO (OP-
152) CNO (OP- 39) BUMED COMNAVFACENGCOM CNO  (OP- 39) CNO (OP- 09N) CNo
(OP- 39) COMSPAWARSYSCOM (003- 244) 8 Enclosure (1)  L. COURSE TITLE/
NA= DTRA NUMBER SHIPHANDLING NAVEDTRA 10738- B1 COURSE SPONSOR CNO (OP-
39) COMNAVSUPSYSCOM (SUP OP- 31) BUMED CNO (OP- 09B) COMNAVSUPSYSCOM
(SUP OP- 31) COMNAVSUPSYSCOM (SUP OP- 31) COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322)
COMNAVSECGRU (CODE G1322) CNO (OP- 39) CNTECHTRA (CODE N613) BUMED NAVY
JAG (CODE 20   Keywords: MATERIAL, ADPSO, COMSC, CORPS, CRYPTOLOGIC,
SPONSORSHIP, Support, JAG, CNO,  NAFC, TRAINING COURSES COURSE, COURSE
SPONSOR COMNAVAIRSYSCOM, COURSE  SPONSOR CNO, BUMED COMNAVFACENGCOM CNO,
BUMED BUMED  COMNAVCOMTELCOM, NAVY NAVEDTRA A95, BUMED BUMED BUMED,

Presumably an obsolete list of US navy training courses from 20 years
ago.

So that was what the FOIA was for - swamping the activists in a sea of
irrelevant data.

Ken Brown