slingshot anonymous access?

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Wed Jan 31 11:54:40 PST 2001

Has anyone tried a slingshot subscription yet?  It's a US-based ISP
providing anonymous internet access (anonymous because it's pre-paid...no
credit card required, you buy a cd from a store, use an enclosed code for
access, and get 600 local dial-up minutes [or 200 ld minutes]).  It's being
sold at Staples and Compusa.  Their URL is www.slingshot.com.  I really like
this idea of 'anonymous' dial-up access...very similar to pre-paid isp
access ideas in europe.  Are these business models going to survive long
enough to invest my time/hassle to try this out?  I know AOL, Earthlink,
MSN, etc. rely heavily on knowing a little about their customers to drive
higher CPM revenues (difficult to make money on sub revenues only).

phillip