Whats NOOS?

Bo Elkjaer boo at datashopper.dk
Wed Jan 31 00:03:20 PST 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Greg Reynolds wrote:

> Any enlightenment available on circumstances?

Last thursday a friend and colleague of mine visited the danish SIGINT
site Skibsbylejren, which is under reconstruction and enhancement. They're
building new 23 meters tall, 30 meters wide radomes. Three radomes are
more or less finished by now, three more are planned to be built soon.

My friend visited the site with a local politician.

So they went in on the enclosed area (through the unlocked gate) and
knocked on the door of a trailer parked near one of the radomes. This guy
jumps up inside the trailer, rushes to the door blocking their access, and
tells them 'you're not supposed to be here'. He's obviously american,
wearing overalls and a blue workmans shirt with a round printed badge on
left pocket: NOOS in the middle, US Department of Commerce along the
circle.

NOOS is short for four words - which also were printed in the badge, but
they didn't get the time to read the words before the american ran away
and eight danish military intelligence officers showed up and threw my
friend and the politician out.

My friend works for national radio, and they were visiting the site so she
could interview the politician for a news-piece on signals intelligence in
Denmark. The story about the american broke big time this morning and will
be discussed in parliament later today.

Yours

--
[ --> I'm Bo Elkjaer. Reach me here: bo.elkjaer at eb.dk,            ]