Absolutely not a joke.

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Tue Jan 30 21:11:10 PST 2001

I'm not sure re: the 'trusted download applications' scenario.  I have not
stepped-through the microsoft capi code material, but I believe a more
reasonable assumption is that law enforcement is more interested in
"dummying-down" the strength of ssl (and e-mail, and .pst file key) sessions
rather than trying to mask a trojan.

Here's why I think this: your isp is capable of delivering a trojan, already
provides updates to dialer apps, etc. and isp downloads are generally
unchecked by end users.  And, your isp is very likely to respond to a
warrant to download a trojan to a user machine (this happens every day.)  In
contrast, Microsoft is unable to comply with a warrant to enable such a
download on demand...the alternative is to purposefully lie to the entire
world about pre-weakend 128-bit key strength, easily attracting lawsuits...I
seriously doubt any rational us company would accept this level of exposure
just to comply with a warrant (don't forget the #1 opponents of us crypto
export laws are us companies, not individuals...shows us companies are more
money driven than 'gee lets help law enforcement at the expense of our
business' driven).  Plus, microsoft doesn't have a huge session-tracking
system which enables them to detect when a particular user logs into the
net, etc....an isp does have this kind of info though and could target
specific users in response to a warrant.  I think the scenario I've outlined
above is probably a legal and reasonable explanation (though I'm not a
lawyer).

As for multiple keys in the microsoft crypto stuff, don't forget about
server-gated crypto.  that particular technology, created by microsoft,
relies on a different set of key generation/management rules than normal
ssl.  this is probably where the 'extra keys' come from.

Phillip