CNN.com - Leader of anti-Semitic church walks out of his kidnapping trial - January 30, 2001

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Tue Jan 30 07:58:36 PST 2001

At 09:32 AM 1/30/01 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

>Now what I'd like to know is why the lawyers aren't screaming 1st
>amendment speech violations...
>
>This pastor or whatever has a right to have his say in court and the court
>has a directive to prevent inteference thereof, this should prevent them
>as well but it doesn't.
>
>So much for 'equality under the law'.

Trials are no forums for free speech (unfortunately).  They are scripted
dramatic presentations and anyone who tries to get too creative will find
himself held in contempt of court.  You can't even make the legal arguments
you want.  They have to meet with the approval of the judge.

DCF

----
"I swear by Almighty God that I have not given any cryptographic keys or
other electronic access devices under my control to any other person or
entity including government employees." -- Suggested oath from the
forthcoming paper "Religious Oaths for Computer Security and Digital
Commerce Applications" by Duncan Frissell, JD and Robert Bader, DD.