Recommendations for Cypherpunks Books

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 08:13:40 PST 2001

Jim Choate wrote:

> > from the late 60s isn't punk but it sounds like punk) and of course
> > Hawkwind (honestly, just listen to the basslines). If there is a
>
> So, you're the one who stole my Orgone Accumulator? You know they started
> out as a front band for a sci-fi writer?

("sci-fi"? what is this "sci-fi"? We know of no "sci-fi"?)

If you mean Michael Moorcock I think they were fans of his and he wrote
some lyrics for them & later on he did go on stage with them now and
again but I don't think it's true to say they *started* that way or that
they were just a "front band" for him.  (Unlike the short-lived and
semi-fictional Deep Fix, which may have included a lot of Hawkwind
members but was Moorcock's band)

Mike Moorcock's living in Texas now.

And writing cowboy stories.

Well, they are as much like cowboy stories as some of the his other
stuff was like sf

Some reviews at: http://sfsite.com/~silverag/texas.html

And a not-at-all spellchecked interview with Colin Greenland at:
http://freespace.virgin.net/g.hurry/mm_int.htm

Michael Moorcock:  The part of Texas I'm moving to is more like
Califonia, its full of old hippies and mad computer people. In fact our
entire estate is run by  old hippies. All of them are lunitics, sort of
rolling up joints and telling you how they dug New Worlds in the 60s. I
mean its amazing to  me. I find the people who are most interested -
they got it from the SF and theyre trying to make it real thats what
interests me. Theres a story that the Americans never quite got the
space ship they wanted right because they were trying to make it look
like a  Buck Rogers space ship. Which I believe because thats how a
space ship should look.

Colin Greenland:   So science fiction does predict the future?

Michael Moorcock:  No, it creates it which is slightly different. Its
full of looney SF fans. When I went up to see 2001, 2001 ways to fall
asleap!, and the NASA people were out there and this is probably what
was wrong with the film - the NASA people were out there and they were
deeply  interested in the science, as if they would really land a space
ship on Jupiter. I cant do with all that.

PSFG :  In the early days you used to do a lot of stuff with certain
bands, like Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult. How did that come about?

Michael Moorcock:  It just happened

PSFG :  So did they like approach you or did you go there or what?

Michael Moorcock: Hawkwind based their title on the Hawkmoon books that
was the start of it and I didnt meet them for the first few months. I
lived in Ladbrook Grove, everything happened in Ladbrook Grove in the
sixties and seventies. I mean it was just nice and I happened to live in
Ladbrook Grove and it all happened around me. You couldnt actually move
for bloody Rock and Roll bands.

Ken Brown