Some other math/crypto sci-fi

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jan 24 23:31:19 PST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, dmolnar wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Alan Olsen wrote:
>
> > You could do a collectable card game based on the patent mess, but the
> > idea of a collectable card game has already been patented.  (Now owned by
> > Hasbro now that they bought Wizards of the Cost.)
>
> Wait, there are non-Hasbro collectable card games, aren't there? Do they
> all simply license from Hasbro?

The WotC patent was recieved well after there were other card games in
production.

WotC said that they were not going to press the patent.  I have not heard
much more about it since the original flap over the patent being granted.

> In any case, simple collectible cards would be all right to start with. So
> what if they "happen" to fall into patterns. They're algorithms!
>
> "I'll trade you a Floyd-Warshall for a Rabin-Miller, but only if you
> throw in a Nisan-Wigderson Derandomizing Pseudorandom Generator...I'm low
> on randomness."
>
> Instead of Mana, have "time," "space," "randomness," and other complexity
> measures. (Death to the first person who suggests "ink.") Trade off
> between the two as appropriate. Special cards ("Blum Speedup Theorem")
> affect resource consumption. Maybe offer other cards which give benefits
> at a cost ("Superstitious Mathematician" - halves time required to run
> algorithms, but doesn't believe in randomness so you lose all randomness
> counters...)

This could get quite silly very fast.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."