Recommendations for Cypherpunks Books

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 22 16:09:29 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Bill Stewart wrote:

> "Trouble and Her Friends" has some good treatment of cryptographically
> protected subcultures, though that's more as redeeming-social-value
> for a book that's written for genre.

Yes, that had been nagging at me. I haven't read it in years so didn't
want to speak up and find that I'd confused it with some other book...but
I remember it being really good.

> Etizoni is a very technical boy.  Unfortunately, his value system
> led him to invent "Fair Cryptography" (that's "fair" as in "Fair Trade",
> not "fair" as in "actually fair to anybody" :-), which covers a
> couple of variants on key escrow.

Hmm. So this explains all those papers on "fair cryptosystems." Well, at
least one paper (and patent!) by Micali...

-David