A change of focus...

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Jan 21 11:23:28 PST 2001

Hi,

Hangar 18 is a mailing list intended for Austin users of Plan 9.

I'm thinking of doing away with any sort of physical meet and also losing
the 'Austin' focus of Hangar 18. What I had in mind had several facets.

-	Institute 'virtual' meetings. At first this would be
	through an IRC server here on einstein under Linux. As soon as
	I can get a box running (#!?&@ 760XL!) I can impliment the same in
	Plan 9 (somebody has written an IRCd haven't they?).

	-	This has some technical challenges because to be really
		effective it must combine text, sound, video, etc.
		seamlessly. It should include some sort of 'whiteboard'
		that supports technical users by having embedded image
		processing and CAD capability (ala 3rd party loadable
		application modules?)

	- 	I intend to allow other groups (eg Linux & crypto) to have
		channels on the server as well. Daily, weekly, and
		monthly scheduled events would be hosted on a web
		server.

-	A shared file space, the basis of a community.

	-	Consider a community library of mp3 data that was
		accessible to all.

	-	Newspaper morgue.

	-	A multi-media library.

-	A shared process space, the basis of distributed community
	services.

	-	distributed community e-cash protocols

	-	distributed and 'private' nameserver

	-	distributed mailing lists

	-	distributed anonymous remailers

	-	distributed data havens

	-	distributed IRC

- Other aspects and uses of Plan 9 in a 'real world' environment.

	- 	mobile access to ones 'home' workspace seamlessly

	-	process and filespace deamons to run on other OS'es
		to allow them to participate as a full peer.

	-	distributed robotics

	-	instrumentation and integration into real-time
		environments (Plan 9 isn't real-time)

	-	consider the distributed nature of Plan 9 and
		a grocery store or order entry business.

- I'd be interested in getting others to purchase 900MHz equipment
  in order to setup 'neighborhood' (hopefully city-wide) a 9600
  rf packet network (in the Austin area to start).

I'd be interested in hearing about some of your hopes for Plan 9. I'd also
like to ask you to pass this to anyone who might be interested. Plan 9 is
not necessarily a requirement.

More info (to join mailing list, haven't updated webpage on this yet),

http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com