Cryptographic Tourism

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Jan 21 06:27:26 PST 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Foobulus Baracculus wrote:

> I am to visit Russia soon: Moscow and St Petersburg, as a tourist. My
> interest is to visit interest telecommunications, cryptographic, espionage
> and related places. I have already visited GCHQ, MI5/MI6, NSA, DSD/ASIO on
> my trips to the United States, Australia and Great Britain. Can readers
> offer suggestions for a high-tech junky.

My suggestion is be very(!) careful (or skip it entirely, the crypto
search not Russia). I don't know of any crypto museums in Moscow (can't
say for St Petersburg). Those folks are pretty scarry when it comes to
security and such. You are aware that private possession/use of crypto in
Russia is illegal? Also, you can't just get up and wander around the
countryside either.

I'd ask a favor, in your wandering around if you run across any russki
WWII tactical (board) wargames please consider bringing a copy back for
me. I'd go as high as $100 US.

Da svidanya moi droog.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com