Photos from George W. Bush inaugural protests, high security

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Jan 20 23:11:42 PST 2001

So I covered President Bush's inauguration today, though from the streets
instead of the bleachers. You can see the photos here:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/2001-bush-inauguration-highlights.html
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/2001-bush-inauguration.html

On Thursday, I walked from the Capitol building to the White House via
Pennsylvania Avenue and took some shots of the inaugural parade preparations:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/2001-bush-inauguration-setup-pa-ave.html

Note the high security and planned police checkpoints earlier in the week:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-5/pennsylvania-ave-setup-park.html
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-5/pennsylvania-ave-setup-fbi.html

On Thursday, when I was standing on a sidewalk in front of the federal
courthouse on Pennsylvania Ave (of Monicagate and Microsoft trial fame), a
deputy U.S. Marshal told me I could not take a photo of the courthouse. It
was a wide-angle shot of the front, and no people or security preparations
appared to be visible. Here's him walking back to his van, which appears to
have -- from another photo -- U.S. Government plate 60163:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-5/pennsylvania-ave-setup-cop.html

I covered the Microsoft trial in that courthouse, took photos of the
exterior, and never had any problems from the marshals. Here's a photo I
took from that same sidewalk last year when the atmosphere was much less
tense:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/9/mike-pettit.html

Photos from even earlier in the week:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01636.html

I've allowed the Independent Media Center to run my photos from Saturday;
you can see some highlights here:
http://www.dc.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=5389
http://www.dc.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=5394
http://www.dc.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=5391

Here's one of the Capitol building setup that Wired News ran, though they
apparently compressed the JPG image too much with hardly optimal results:
http://www.wired.com/news/photo/0,1860,41317,00.html

-Declan