oppose nomination of John Ashcroft

Alex B. Shepardsen abs at squig.org
Sat Jan 20 13:00:11 PST 2001

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

> your tone of voice unless you're yelling). Fear is an entirely different
> matter from respect.

As in my previous message, it depends on how you're defining fear in this
application. Can a dog not fear disappointing its owner?

> More people should understand this distinction. Hell, most people
> shouldn't even have pets.

With that, I agree.

> Don't know about abuse but it's crappy training technique (and I say that
> from raising dogs for 37 years). Also, abuse is about more than simply
> striking them. It includes negligence as well. It means not doing what you
> should be doing.

I was always told that the only form of physical admonishment one should
ever employ with a dog is a swift jerk at the scruff of the neck
(apparently imitating mother/puppy behavior). I don't particularly see
this being useful, however. The urge to react physically to undesirable
behavior is a failing in the human trainer. (Likewise, when your child
accidently steps on your dog's tail, you want the dog to yelp rather than
bite.)

[snip accurate description of the ordeal of housebreaking dogs]

One method that has worked for me, in addition to everything you've said,
is the repetition of a phrase while waiting for the dog to do his
business. I've spent many a night standing in my back yard saying
"hurry-up" in the sweetest voice imaginable to my puppies, and then
telling them how much of a good dog they are when they pee. Makes the
neighbors think I am batty, but they eventually equate "hurry-up" with
"take a leak", and I can get them to urinate on command.

> then you yell at it and drag it around pointing at newspaper (like a puppy
> has any clue what paper is) is the way or it's supposed to read your mind.
> (After all, if you're so smart how come you didn't recognize the pup was
> in distress in the first place?)

"If you point at a dog, he'll look at your finger..."

> Now this should not be interpreted to mean that no physical contact is
> required. For example the best way to teach dogs not to rush the door is
> to pin them in it. If a dog pushes you and you don't want then push it
> away hard enough to put it on the ground (similar to a 'alpha roll', and
> if you don't know what a 'alpha roll' is or how to use it you know nothing
> about training dogs). If you teach them 'back up' and they don't you alpha
> roll them on their back.

Jim, most people on here won't know what an alpha roll is.

> As to demanding respect from dogs, you don't do it with your voice. You do
> it with your eyes (another sign of inexperience is this common mistake,
> even a lot of 'professionals' make it). In addition you shouldn't play
> 'tug of war' with it and you should NEVER let a puppy/dog get on top of a
> child or person, EVER!!!!!

By extension, if you're ever in a situation where you fear you may be
attacked by a dog, avert your eyes. A staring contest with a strange
dog may end up with bloodshed.

> There are some monks who raise German Shephards, they write some excellent
> books. Anyone raising any sort of canine should read at least one of them.

The Monks of New Skete.

> Bottom line, if an animal fails in its behavior it rests on one set of
> shoulders and one set of shoulders only, the owner. It is NEVER the
> animals fault.

Absolutely.

Alex